The following is a press release from the West Chester Area School District.
Keystone Exams, which will begin this December, are the next step in Pennsylvania's standardized testing system for high schools under the federal "No Child Left Behind" law. The exams will replace the PSSA as the high school achievement accountability measure. On the days a Keystone Exam is scheduled to be administered, students in all grade levels will have different class schedule and location responsibilities at different times each day.
This letter contains important dates, schedule changes on those dates, and other student-testing information that you should save in order to ensure our students are well-prepared and on time for the upcoming Keystone Exams.
December 4th and 5th - Algebra 1 Keystone Exam
December 6th, 7th, and 10th - Algebra 1 Make-Up Exam
- One Algebra 1 module will be administered each day to 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students who have completed an Algebra 1 course but who did not score proficient on the Keystone Pilot Exam. Students who did score proficient on the pilot exam will be notified by the building administration.
- Current Algebra 1 students will arrive to school at their normal time.
- Seniors and those students who scored proficient on the Algebra 1 pilot test will arrive no later than 9:30 a.m. on both days. Homeroom will, therefore, run from 9:30 to 9:40 a.m. The earliest arrival time for seniors and students who scored proficient on the Algebra 1 pilot test on those days is 9:15 a.m.
December 11th and 12th - English Literature Exam for 11th grade ONLY
- ALL high school students should report to school at the regular time
- One English Literature module will be administered each day for 11th grade students
- 11th grade students will take the exam each day and then go to periods 3 through 8 as normal
- All other grades will follow a normal class schedule
January 9th and 10th - Biology Exam
- 9th, 10th and 11th grade students should report to school at the regular time
- 10th and 11th grade students will take the Biology exam
- One Biology module will be administered to 10th and 11th grade students each day
- NO SENIORS will attend school on January 9th (in-service day). On January 10th, seniors will arrive by 9:30 a.m. with the earliest arrival time for seniors on the 10th set at 9:15 a.m.
- In the event of inclement weather, the schedule for exams will be adjusted for following days as necessary
Please make sure your children are familiar with and understand the Keystone Exam schedule listed above. It is vital that our students take the exams very seriously. They not only have an impact on school and district accountability measures, but the scores will also appear on students' transcripts. If you have any questions, please contact your school's main office.