For the cupcakes
1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
Zest and juice of 1 ½ limes
2 tbs. tequila
¼ tsp. Vanilla
½ cup sour milk (1/2 Tbs. vinegar and filled to ½ cup with milk)
To brush on the cupcakes
2 Tbs. tequila (or more)
For the Icing
1 cup butter, at room temperature
2 ¾ cup powdered sugar
1 Tbs. lime juice
2 to 3 Tbs. tequila
1. Preheat oven to 325 and line cupcake tin with liners and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
5. Add the lime zest, lime juice, vanilla, and tequila. Mix until combined.
6. Add the dry ingredients in thirds, and the sour milk in two batches. Mix until incorporated.
7. Divide the batter between the lined cupcake tins and bake for 25 minutes, until just slightly brown.
8. Allow to cool approximately 10 minutes in the tins, then remove to the cooling rack. Brush the tops of the cupcakes with tequila. Set aside to cool completely.
9. For the frosting, whip the butter in an electric mixer for approximately 5 minutes.
10. Reduce speed and add the powdered sugar, slowly.
11. Add the lime juice and tequila until incorporated and fluffy.
12. Frost cupcakes and, optionally, garnish with vanilla sugar and gummy limes. (You could also garnish with coarse salt and a lime wedge.)