Get Out: Winter Series Run, Join the Continental Army
Are you looking for something to do this weekend? Check out these great local events.
What's going on this weekend?
- When: Saturday, Jan. 5 at 9:30 a.m.
- Where: The Athlete's Closet, 11 N. Five Pts. Rd. West Chester
- Why Go: This is the second in a series of four winter races at The Athlete's Closet in West Chester. This 5K is located by the store and features residential roads, rolling hills, wheel measured, turns and miles marked. Walkers of all abilities welcome. Awards, refreshments, and indoor warm-up.
- Cost: Race Day - $20 with tee-shirt or $15 no tee-shirt
- When: Tuesday, Jan. 8 at 8 p.m.
- Where: Side Bar & Restaurant
- Why Go: The West Chester Story Slam is an event where anyone can take the stage and tell a true five-minute story based on the theme of the night - this month the theme is 'Social Media.' Stories are told with no notes, no props, and no music and one winner is chosen each month to compete in the November Grand Slam. If you want to sign up, get there early. They usually allow 8 - 10 people up to slam.
- Cost: $8 advance, $10 at door
- When: Every Saturday until April 27 from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Where: 208 Carter Dr, West Chester
- Why Go: This is the region’s first indoor market featuring organically produced foods made right on premise. Enjoy browsing through over 25 local food artisans and farmers, interactive tasting sessions, hands-on demonstrations, live music and more!
- Cost: Free
- When: Saturday, Jan. 5 from 11 a.m. - Noon
- Where: Valley Forge Park, Visitor Center
- Why Go: Children are invited to join the Continental Army and experience a day in the life of the continental soldier. Recruits will be mustered in by receiving enlistment papers and continental currency. Recruits will be issued wooden (dummy) muskets and learn how to stand, march, and carry their musket as one of Washington's soldiers would have done. Officers, park rangers dressed in continental uniform, will train the recruits in a full musket drill. Appropriate for ages 6 - 12.
- Cost: Free